SECOND-RANKED Tiger Woods, fighting to recover top form after back surgery seven weeks ago, says he has no timetable for a comeback and still cannot fully swing a club.
Hours after being dethroned by Australian Adam Scott as the world's number one golfer, Woods said he remains uncertain if he can play in the next major tournament, the US Open from June 12-15 at Pinehurst, North Carolina.
"As of right now I can chip and putt," Woods said. "At least I have something.
"I don't know how much longer it will take before I can do more. As far as full swings and the timing on that, I don't know."
Woods, a 14-time major champion chasing the record 18 major titles won by Jack Nicklaus, underwent the microdiscectomy operation on March 31 to ease a pinched nerve, forcing him to miss the Masters for the first time in his career.
He says it will be doctors who decide when he can begin his comeback bid.
"Really there is no timetable," Woods said. "That has been the real question through all this. There is no date."
Earlier on Monday, 2013 Masters winner Scott overtook Woods to claim the top spot in the world rankings for the first time, ending Woods' latest reign at 60 weeks.
Woods fell to second but will drop more ranking points while absent from the tour, leaving him vulnerable in the coming weeks to third-ranked Henrik Stenson of Sweden, fourth-ranked American Matt Kuchar and fifth-ranked American Bubba Watson.
When asked about how tough it was to watch himself be passed in the rankings, Woods said, "I don't feel too bad watching golf. I just can't play at that level right now."
Want video tips delivered straight to your inbox? Subscribe to iseekgolf.com newsletters.