The Australian Post-Tel Institute (API) Golf Club originated in Adelaide in 1934, and, after World War 2, reformed in 1946 thanks to the work of Ross Matheson, Ralph Fairweather and Glen Webster.
Initially the Club was known as the Australian Postal Institute Golf Club, but the introduction of the Australia Post and Telecom Australia Commissions in 1975 meant a slight change from 'Postal' to Post-Tel'.
In 1982, a simple golf motif cloth badge was arranged for club members, however this was replaced in June 1986 with South Australia's floral emblem, the Sturt Desert Pea.
In 1987, the Club was incorporated under the Associations Incorporations Act.
The club has been based on the South Course of the Adelaide Golf Links at North Adelaide for over 60 years