Southern Inland QLD
Clifton Golf Club
The earliest record of a Golf Club in Clifton comes from a bank account statement dated 1927 when a small course was located on a public reserve close to Clifton. The present course was established in 1954 on a parcel of natural Cypress and Box Tree forest eleven kilometres west of Clifton and featured sand greens. Ross Watson redesigned the course in 1980 and enthusiastic volunteers built Bermuda 328 greens under his expert direction. The subtlety of these greens is legendary and remains the major attraction of the pleasantly undulating ten hole layout. It is a course that rewards straight hitters and bites hard on the reckless. Over the last four years the members have removed or pruned problem trees, planted a great many new ones, totally redesigned the irrigation system through a Community Water Grant to save water and energy, addressed the problem of clay panning and applied around two hundred tonnes of natural fertiliser to the fairways. Play can continue even after heavy rain due to the sandy nature of the soil and excellent drainage. The diversity of trees and grass makes the course a haven for Koalas, several species of Macropods and a variety of Parrots and other birds. Ducks, fish and golf balls take advantage of the strategically positioned water storages. Clifton is a friendly country club that hosts many charity and social days and offers a limited number of electric carts for hire.
Golf Course Details
Leyburn Road, CliftonSouthern Inland QLD, QLD 4361, Australia