The Royal Queensland Golf Club was founded in 1920 on 420 acres acres of land fronting the Brisbane River in an area known as Parker Island.
The original course was designed by Carnegie Clark, the Australian Open Champion of the day, and was opened by the Governor-General Lord Forster in 1921.
Royal Queensland has hosted three Australian Open Championships and four Australian Amateur Championships, as well as a multitude of other significant professional and amateur events.
Construction of the new Championship Course was completed in December 2007. The new Royal Queensland layout was designed by Michael Clayton, following the State Government’s decision in 2005 to build a second Gateway Bridge over the famous course.