Play first commenced at Cammeray in 1906 when a group from the Neutral Bay Lawn Tennis Club agreed to start a golf club in Cammeray Park.
The current layout was finally settled on in 1968 after the Warringah expressway was completed. The expressway caused a considerable area of the old course to be resumed together with playing fields that were the southern ends of the present 7th and 8th holes and a number of temporary layouts were played during the years it took for the expressway to be constructed.
After an aggressive tree-planting policy in the early days the current layout is a excellent test of golf from the members tees, requiring driving accuracy, pinpoint second shots and the ability to play from a variety of stances. The condition of the course is excellent year-round despite it having reasonably high volume traffic 7 days per week.
Its closeness to the city makes it a popular course for a quick nine holes morning or evening and with open days on Mondays and Wednesdays and Fridays, many affiliated golfers take advantage of the chance to play "Royal" Cammeray.